A lesson learned on the back of a mule

 

Quilotoa is a water-filled caldera byproduct of a volcanic eruption 800 years ago in Zumbahua, Ecuador. It really is a sight to see from the very top, and to my delight I found that there is a well traveled very steep, dirt path that takes you to the bottom.

 

Being the seasoned hikers that we are, we ventured all the way down, my parents in tow. 

 

Here you can see a bit of the winding path that takes about 30 - 45 minutes to hike down, and 1-2 hours to hike up the 920ish feet vertical ascent, depending on your agility.

 

 

When we made it all the way down we explored the surroundings, Benjamin played in the water, and we even got to kayak in the lake for a while.

 

 

 

 

When it was time to climb up, Tim, Ben, and my dad took off while I stayed behind with my mom, taking it slow due to her blood pressure issues. We were doing well but around half way up her heart was getting worked up so I stopped a couple mules to take us the rest of the way.

Mules are a hybrid animal, the offspring of a male horse and a female donkey. They are incredibly valuable animals that are stronger than a horse and smarter than donkeys. They are so cool that Charles Darwin said of them: "The mule appears to me a most surprising animal. That a hybrid should posses more reason, memory, obstinacy, social affection, powers of muscular endurance, and length of life than either of its parents, seems to indicate that art has outdone nature."

 

Both, my mom and I, jumped each on a mule, and followed by their owner we headed uphill. I was a little bit uneasy bordering on nervous because the owner of the mules let go of their reins, and you probably had to be there to understand my discomfort, but that path was narrow, steep, and those mules walked dangerously close to the edge of the abyss. So close that I hinted the owner to please take their reins, but my request was met with a matter of fact: "No need. They know the way."

 

It was on that very edge, at that sign that so cleverly said follow the path, that God met me and told me to REST. 

If you read my previous post then you know that I left on vacation at odds with God after going through a ridiculously hard year. It was on the back of that mule, when I was thinking that the only reason I was on it was because I didn't want to leave my mom alone, telling myself that I could make it back up the hill on my own two legs and not risk death by mule, that I heard Him say: "I know you can but I would like you to rest on me, let me carry you the rest of the way for I know you are tired. Trust me and enjoy the view from the edge, because this is where we will do our best work.

Let me be clear, I am not comparing God to a mule, but it was on the back of that beautiful equine that I understood what He meant when He told me to rest - in Him, with Him, letting Him, trusting Him.

So here's to 2017, living life faithfully on the edge.

 

"Could it be true that you can be more of who you were meant to be without having to DO more? It doesn't seem mathematically possible when we give the numbers in and out the final say. But this time, we are going to let God have His way, and His way is the humble and little way." - Revelation Wellness

Comments

Fernanda on Instagram

Translate