It's all downhill from here... Sort of



I am weird in the fact that when running I don't mind the uphills, in fact, I have grown to like the effort it takes to climb them, and the view I get at the top. Downhills are a different story because they scare me. Seeing the long road ahead of me and the thought of tripping and falling always slows me down.

Coach Emma told me "You've done the work, your legs are strong, trust them. Lean into the hill and allow them to catch you".

Being a parent is hard work, being a parent and having a job is definitely hard work, being an entrepreneur and a parent with a job is straight up for the insane. There are not enough hours in the day, but today I carved enough time for a 3 mile run with Benjamin in the stroller, and I was thinking of Emma's words when the downhill came, and it occurred to me that the principle possibly applies to my life as it stands right now. I am juggling life like a street artist juggles fire balls. It's hard, but I don't mind the work of the uphill because I know what I am doing, and I am prepared. So maybe it's time to leave the fears on the trail, to let go, and start trusting that I will catch myself.

Running hills breaks up your rhythm and forces your muscles to adapt to new stresses. The result? You become stronger. - Eamonn Coghlan


Comments

Fernanda on Instagram

Translate