Designing a Life


Ah it feels good to be back! I took a blog hiatus to enjoy the beauty of starting married life. I also started a new job that I love and keeps me plenty busy. What is this job you say? I make the so - so into  beautiful for a living in the world of interior design. 

When I tell people this, their first reaction is to talk to me about accent rugs and pillows, which in a way are part of the designing process... a very tiny, minuscule part of design. 

Rhonda Layton puts it into perspective:

"Interior design is a widely misunderstood profession. People get the romantic notion this business is all about picking out colors, working with lush beautiful fabrics, and being creative all the live long day. That isn't so. It is about making the sale, organizing the details and making sure EVERYTHING is perfect for Mrs. Smith's installation on Friday. It's about negotiating with installer's, paying furniture manufacturer's, keeping accurate billing records, ensuring you have met codes for your local municipalities, getting more of that fabric you ran out of, making sure the wall paper hanger is in the room when he needs to be, and making all of it seem effortless and stress free."

And that's what I do. And it takes a team of wonderfully skilled people to make it happen. And I am truly blessed to wake up every morning and joyfully go to a job I love. And why wouldn't I? Every single day I get to use the abilities that God has given me to bring Him glory. 

I don't just see an apartment remodel, I see the retired couple who sold everything to buy this apartment where they will spend their last years. I don't see a bathroom remodel, I see the twenty something girl who's saved her hard earned money to get it. I don't see an old office, I see the new nursery that someone's new baby will occupy. 

Everyone who walks through our doors has a story, and I am honored and blessed to be part of it. To make their surroundings beautiful, to make a house a place that people enjoy coming to, a place to invite their loved ones, a place where they will create memories in. 

And as I work on my designs my Lord is designing me.

If you have followed my journey over the past year you know that not everything has been easy, but it has been worth it. I can see God working in my life, carefully making me into the woman He's created me to be. Thread by thread, piece by piece coming apart until I'm down to my studs. He gently holds me and I don't resist, I just come to where He has called me. I come to my Designer and let His skilled artist hands day by day make me a million times better. I let Him, who knit me in mothers womb, have His way with me and mold me into a display of His best work.

Billy Graham said "Mountains are for views and inspiration, but fruits are grown in the valleys."  

I have left the valley and reached the mountain top. I am inspired, I am blessed, I am overflown with joy. And the view! Oh the view from here is just amazing! Oh praise Him!



Have you met your Designer? Have you been made new? 

“But now, O Lord, You are our Father; we are the clay, and You our potter; and all we are the work of Your hand.” (Isaiah 64:8)


Comments

  1. I love the way you are letting God mold and shape you! You have learned much more that I hope will appear in this blog at some point along the way.
    Love from Virginia!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Fernanda on Instagram

Translate